Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Frogs in the Sandbox




Sometimes putting off chores has its benefits. That is if you find frogs in the sand box a plus.

The weekend before last, my daughter and I were working in the garden when she asked me "Mommy what's that sound?" I was surprised by the source and the loudness, but I was pretty sure I knew what it was.

I told her to follow me and we headed over to her turtle shaped sandbox where the ribbiting noises were emanating from. The top has been only partially on and the box has been swamped with water for a few weeks now. I keep meaning to drain it, clean the sand and set it up as a proper sandbox again for her. Too late.

We pulled off the lid and there were frogs. One really big one and two little ones. My daughter's sandbox was now a frog pond and she was delighted. My guilt at not cleaning it out was replaced with child like joy at the sight of our frogs.

We visited them several times during the day and I loved seeing the fascination in my daughter's face. I'm sure there is a relocation project in our future, but for now we are thoroughly enjoying our miniature frog pond.

1 comment:

Belle said...

What a wonderful surprise!