Thursday, January 3, 2013

Starting with Potato Peel Pie


As part of my resolution to finish 13 books this year, I am revisiting a book I started more than three years ago and never finished. I'm not sure why I put The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society down. I found the subject matter interesting and it was a pleasant read. Maybe it didn't fully grab me at the time. More likely it was some combination of having a very young child, a house that needed lots of fixing and starting a job that left me exhausted all the time.

The house still needs fixing and life continues to be busy. My daughter is now learning to read (time flies), so I'm setting aside time each day to read with my daughter and also determined to make time for my own literary endeavors. Now that I've restarted The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, I'm thoroughly enjoying this look into both post war England and the occupation of the Channel Islands during WWII. The book is at the same time an exploration of what books speak to us, how they can open us up to new ways of seeing and also sustain us in difficult times. Not a bad first choice for my 2013 baker's dozen.

What books have you abandoned only to come back to?

No comments: