Thursday, March 11, 2010

And the Oscar Goes To ...




I think I beat my own Oscars record this year having managed to watch only one nominated film before the show aired. To make my accomplishment even more amazing, I did not see any of the films nominated for best picture or the acting categories. I have plenty of catching up to do when it comes to cinema these days.

Jane Campion's Bright Star, the one film I saw with a shot at an Oscar, was up for best costume design. My one film, it turns out, did not take home a statue. I didn't see any of the competing films, so I can't say whether it deserved to win or not. The costumes were beautiful but understated like much of the film. What I can say is, I think the film deserved an Oscar for the most beautiful scenery. Hmm, maybe that falls under set design. But the fields of flowers and the orchards from the film did not make me think of movie sets. It just seemed like gorgeously recorded nature. I'm sure cinematic magic was employed, but I'd like to think I could find myself walking in one of those flower filled fields.

Now I'm waiting for all the bulbs I planted in the fall to come up and am inspired to plant more. Who knows someday I could have my own field of flowers.


5 comments:

xoxoxo said...

oooh - ad this one to my list - so beautiful! Keep picturing your own field of flowers - you'll get there. In the meantime you can scheme which ones you'd like to plant. When I was little and we had a big yard, I remember my mom sitting up with bulb catalogs. She actually drew her dream of the garden. I hope that drawing survived somewhere, it was great.

jane said...

That would be great if you could track down that drawing. Gardens are such an amazing way for people to express themselves. We have a huge yard here and so far I'm mainly just trying to make it look decent. My mom removed bushes and never replaced them and weeds have gotten into the beds. I've put in new tiny (and I mean tiny) bushes and re-edged everything, so I should be able to move onto bigger and better things soon. It's amazing how expensive it is to landscape. I would have loved to have called someone and said "hey, make it beautiful". But I'll probably be more satisfied with my own efforts in the end. I certainly have gotten a workout from digging through the Jersey clay.

Last year we planted a lot of sunflowers in the back and are going to plant even more this year. Also on our gardening list is a tiny flowering apple or cherry tree for the front of the house. And my big hope is to get started on a real vegetable garden with raised beds. I'll post pictures of our progress this summer. Stay tuned!

xoxoxo said...

Will do! I will live vicariously through your garden, because my future, immediate and otherwise, is still sans yard. luckily you can grow some plants in an apartment.

I don't know how different NJ climate is from DC (it seems everything is different the past few years with the weather), but one of my favorite flowering trees here is the Redbud. The weeping cherry blossom is beautiful, too. And of course the classic dogwood - it's not a bad dilemma for you to have such a choice!

jane said...

I'll have to look at pictures of Redbud. I think there were some in Williamsburg of all places. I was thinking of Weeping Cherry. We once had a cute little dogwood in our yard but it didn't do to well. It may have been the soil or that it got overwhelmed by other trees. Don't envy me my yard too much. it is a lake right now!

Aly said...

What a beauty of a film....;)