Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Kodachrome America







The 30's and 40's are a period of time I generally picture in black and white. While I know people lived their lives in color, the images I have seen from this period including family photos have all been black and white. In terms of our family photos, I think it is really not until the late fifties or early sixties that color starts to seep in. So while there are both black and white and color photos from my early childhood, all the photos of my parents as children and young adults are black & white or sepia toned.

These amazing color photos were taken by photographers working for the Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information between 1939 and 1943, and provide a rare glimpse of how our country looked as it moved out of the Depression, into the war years and the era of Kodachrome.

Photos are the property of The Library of Congress. You can see more images and get details on individual photos here and here.

No comments: