Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Coming Undone

I just finished my second summer read featuring a woman coming undone. Where'd You Go Bernadette almost got tossed aside but I'm glad I persisted. It was another train station buy and as I tried to make my way through the first chapters I was annoyed at first.

Annoyed because it wasn't exactly what I expected, annoyed because my mood was tainted by stress at work. I was turned off by the petty grievances and concerns of a fairly privileged lot of characters living under the Olympic mountains and looming giant Microsoft. Was I supposed to sympathize with their woes about fund raising for their so so private school? No, I was supposed to laugh and as things escalated and started to come undone find sympathy for an imperfect lot. Now I'm glad I hung in long enough to enjoy a memorable mud slide.

No comments: