Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Wander Lust # 3:




I first saw an image of Cinque Terre on a free calendar more than a decade ago and could barely believe it was real. The tiny village of Vernazza with its equally tiny beach, looked so magical. The village's buildings clustered tightly together, seemed to cling precariously to the sides of the regions cliffs.

Visiting this grouping of cities along the northern Italian coast was instantly added to my bucket list. Years later, I have yet to hike the paths that connect the five cities, but I stumbled across some photos and the urge to visit this area has been rekindled.

Sadly, two of the five villages, Vernazza and Monterosso, were damaged by devastating mud slides in 2011. Monterosso has been able to dig out and rebuild, but Vernazza is still recovering. Hopefully this beautiful village will be accessible again this summer. Do you have a place you've always wanted to visit?

1 comment:

Belle said...

I have always wanted to visit Paris and London because of the museums and art galleries. I've loved reading the history of England and would like to see as much as possible of it.

Vernazza looks like it came out of a fairy tale. What a beautiful place. It is sad about the mud slides. I hope you get to see these cities some day.