Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Affordable Luxuries #6 Flower Bulbs




The weather is still warm enough in many parts of the country to sneak a few bulbs in the ground before it freezes. I planted two rings of daffodils this fall. One ring around an old tree that had a sort of natural fairy ring and another around a yet to be weeping cherry tree I plan to plant in the spring. I hated digging the six inch holes in the pure clay soil that plagues our yard, but I persisted. I just kept thinking how cheerful the tulips I planted last fall were this past spring. Flower bulbs are not for those seeking instant gratification but they are an affordable luxury that will keep paying off year after year.

While looking for photos to accompany this post I came across the Daffodil Principle. It may seem a bit corny but it was just the sort of "just keep putting one foot in front of the other" message I was needing to keep me going this week. Tiny steps add up and a few bulbs in the ground equal lots of flowers in your future.

Top image is of tulip fields in the Netherlands by Luud Riphagen. Bottom image is a daffodil field in Whaplode Parish England by Patricia Carter.

No comments: