Thursday, January 22, 2009

Happy Freitag!



I was watching the movie Helvetica by Gary Hustwit (not exactly a Hollywood block buster) and was reminded of how great Freitag messenger bags are. The film is a feature-length documentary examining Helvetica's dominance in our visual culture. Since Freitag bags are made from recycled truck tarps it's not surprising that many feature at least snippets of Helvetica type and that they had a small role in the film.

Besides their film career Freitag bags are cool because they are made from recycled materials, handmade (watch the film), produced in a small town in Switzerland (think quality) and well designed (think Swiss). I really like their Miami Vice bag for green shopping.

Freitag's website is equally well designed. Be sure to check out the fantastic F-CUT application that allows you to design your own bag by placing stencils on your choice of tarps.

Images above are stills from Helvetica.

1 comment:

xoxoxo said...

This is the second time in a week I have had Helvetica recommended to me - time to see it! It was my favorite font when I had to help layout my dad's newpaper back in the day...

I love the F-cut feature, too! Now if I can justify buying the bag - I'm sort of a bag junkie...