Friday, April 17, 2009

Reading Wish List: Script and Scribble



I'm the kind of person who would be very happy curled up and reading a good book for hours. My life however does not accommodate such singular pursuits these days, so I find myself compiling a Reading Wish List.

I did manage to read the latest issue of ReadyMade from start to finish the other night (Domino substitute) and came across a blurb about Script and Scribble: The Rise and Fall of Handwriting by Kitty Burns which peaked my interest. I often look at my handwriting and think what happened? I learned penmanship before the personal computer hit and was taught by nuns no less, so there's really no excuse for the state of my handwriting these days. The answer may lie in Ms. Burns' book which goes beyond blaming computers alone and looks at our modern lifestyle for an explanation. I personally hope there is still hope for the art of penmanship.

No comments: